Skip to main content

History of All European Union Countries

 History of All European Union Countries

The European Union (EU) has grown from six founding members in 1958 to 27 today, with each country joining at different stages of integration. Below is a chronological overview of all current EU members and their key dates in EU history.

Founding Members (1958) European Union

  • Germany – Joined 1958, Euro area 1999, Schengen 1995.

  • France – Joined 1958, Euro area 1999, Schengen 1995.

  • Italy – Joined 1958, Euro area 1999, Schengen 1997.

  • Belgium – Joined 1958, Euro area 1999, Schengen 1995.

  • Netherlands – Joined 1958, Euro area 1999, Schengen 1995.

  • Luxembourg – Joined 1958, Euro area 1999, Schengen 1995.

1973 Expansion European Union

  • Denmark – Joined 1973, Schengen 2001.

  • Ireland – Joined 1973, Euro area 1999.

  • United Kingdom – Joined 1973 (left in 2020).

1981 Expansion European Union

  • Greece – Joined 1981, Euro area 2001, Schengen 2000.

1986 Expansion European Union

  • Spain – Joined 1986.

  • Sweden – Joined 1986.

1995 Expansion European Union

  • Austria – Joined 1995, Euro area 1999, Schengen 1997.

  • Finland – Joined 1995, Euro area 1999, Schengen 2001.

2004 Expansion European Union

  • Czechia – Joined 2004, Schengen 2007.

  • Poland – Joined 2004.

  • Hungary – Joined 2004, Schengen 2007.

  • Croatia – Joined 2013 (not in 2004).

  • Latvia – Joined 2004, Euro area 2014, Schengen 2007.

  • Lithuania – Joined 2004, Euro area 2015, Schengen 2007.

  • Estonia – Joined 2004, Euro area 2011, Schengen 2007.

  • Slovenia – Joined 2004.

  • Malta – Joined 2004.

  • Portugal – Joined 2004.

  • Romania – Joined 2007.

  • Bulgaria – Joined 2007, Euro area 2026, Schengen 2024.

2007 Expansion European Union

  • Romania – Joined 2007.

  • Bulgaria – Joined 2007.

2013 Expansion European Union

  • Croatia – Joined 2013, Euro area 2023, Schengen 2023.

Euro and Schengen Milestones

  • Euro area: Introduced in 1999 (paper currency) and 2009 (full use).

  • Schengen area: Allows free movement between member states without visas. Joined progressively from 1995 onward.

Summary Table of Key Dates European Union

CountryJoined EUEuro Area

Schengen

Germany19581999

1995

France19581999

1995

Italy19581999

1997

Belgium19581999

1995

Netherlands19581999

1995

Luxembourg19581999

1995

Denmark1973–

2001

Ireland19731999

–

UK1973–

–

Greece19812001

2000

Spain1986–

–

Sweden1986–

2001

Austria19951999

1997

Finland19951999

2001

Czechia2004–

2007

Poland2004–

–

Hungary2004–

2007

Latvia20042014

2007

Lithuania20042015

2007

Estonia20042011

2007

Slovenia2004–

–

Malta2004–

–

Portugal2004–

–

Romania2007–

–

Bulgaria20072026

2024

Croatia20132023

2023

This timeline reflects the EU’s evolution from post-war cooperation to a major political and economic union, with each country’s path shaped by its own political, economic, and social developments. Wikipedia

Written by Fountain Pen Newspaper Author Winter Breshna.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy

LIBRARY OF LINGUISTICS ISSUE NO. 192 (mi²) CHILLER EDITION • YEAR 2026 O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy O‑10 Marine Corps Admiral Pay and Allowances (2026) Short answer: An O‑10 (four‑star) Marine in 2026 receives basic pay of about $18,808.20/month (subject to Executive Schedule caps), plus tax‑free BAS (~$311.68/month) and potential BAH (location‑dependent) and special pays (hazard, SDO, flight, etc.). Exact totals depend on years of service, duty station, dependents, and authorized special pays. Military.com Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) Guide key considerations, clarifying choices, decision points Considerations: Basic pay is set by grade/years and capped by law; BAS is standard for officers; BAH depends on duty station and dependency status; special pays vary by assignment (e.g., SDO, hazard, flight). Defense Finance...

I am single available truth to the people by Author Winter Breshna.

I am single available truth to the people  by Author Winter Breshna. Yes I am single yes I am available yes I do say the truth yes I am a writer author publisher and human the needs and everything that I want men or need to be met go both ways when two wants meet each other and take things further I am single I am available.  I post on my blue sky I post on my Tumblr I post on my parler everything I post is the way how anybody feels that they post on their social media I'm the same way figuring out why did this person post it because there's something that they want somebody to know that it's important for anybody to know that they know that's on there social media line.  Regardless that they're single available or already taken with someone.  Expectations always need to be met regardless single married vdivorced never been married or as we've all heard of before I will never get married I will never have kids because it is too expensive I've heard that befo...