Skip to main content

EXODUS 2:12–16 — TUNED TOWARD THE NEIGHBOR MATTHEW 22:34–40 — THE GREAT COMMANDMENT Written by Author Winter Breshna

EXODUS 2:12–16 — TUNED TOWARD THE NEIGHBOR

MATTHEW 22:34–40 — THE GREAT COMMANDMENT

Written by Author Winter Breshna

Faith is not only a matter of belief; it is a matter of orientation—how a person turns their heart, their choices, and their compassion toward the people around them. Both Exodus 2:12–16 and Matthew 22:34–40 reveal a powerful truth: righteousness is measured not only by devotion to God, but by how one treats their neighbor. These passages, separated by centuries, speak with one voice about courage, responsibility, and love.

Below is a detailed, reflective article written in the Winter Breshna voice—steady, reverent, and tuned toward truth.

I. Exodus 2:12–16 — A Moment of Moral Intervention

In Exodus, Moses steps into a scene of injustice. He sees a Hebrew man being beaten by an Egyptian, and he intervenes. The text shows a man who cannot ignore suffering. Moses acts, not out of impulse, but out of alignment with a deeper moral compass.

This moment reveals three truths:

1. Compassion Requires Action

Moses does not turn away. He does not rationalize the violence. He steps forward, even at personal risk. Faith is not passive—it is responsive.

2. Justice Begins With Seeing Clearly

Before Moses acts, he looks. He observes the suffering. He acknowledges it. Many people see pain and pretend it is not their concern. Moses refuses that blindness.

3. The Neighbor Is Anyone Who Suffers

The Hebrew man is not Moses’ friend, nor his family. He is simply a human being in distress. This is the earliest biblical echo of the commandment to love one’s neighbor.

Later, in verses 15–16, Moses flees to Midian and again intervenes—this time for the daughters of Reuel, who are being harassed at the well. Two acts of protection. Two acts of neighbor‑love. Two acts of moral courage.

Moses’ character is revealed not in temples or rituals, but in how he treats strangers.

II. Matthew 22:34–40 — The Great Commandment

Centuries later, Jesus is asked a question meant to trap Him: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

His answer is the foundation of Christian ethics:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind.”

This is the first commandment—devotion, reverence, alignment with the divine.

But Jesus does not stop there.

“And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.”

He binds the two commandments together. He makes neighbor‑love inseparable from God‑love.

Then He declares: “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Everything—every teaching, every prophecy, every moral instruction—rests on love for God and love for neighbor.

III. The Bridge Between Exodus and Matthew

When you place these passages side by side, a pattern emerges:

1. Moses acts out the Great Commandment before it is spoken.

He protects the vulnerable. He defends the oppressed. He steps into conflict to shield the innocent.

2. Jesus clarifies the heart behind Moses’ actions.

He teaches that love is not selective. Love is not theoretical. Love is not limited to those who resemble us.

3. Neighbor‑love is the measure of spiritual maturity.

Not ritual. Not status. Not religious performance. But compassion expressed through courage.

IV. Tuned Toward the Neighbor — A Modern Reflection

To be “tuned toward the neighbor” means:

  • Seeing suffering before it becomes invisible

  • Acting when silence would be easier

  • Protecting those who cannot protect themselves

  • Loving without calculating benefit

  • Choosing justice even when it costs comfort

  • Living with a heart that bends toward mercy

Faith is not proven in isolation. It is proven in relationship.

Moses shows this in the desert. Jesus teaches it in the temple. And every believer is called to live it in the world.

V. Total Recall — The Commandment That Echoes Through Time

When Scripture is read with total recall—memory, context, and continuity—the message becomes unmistakable:

Love God. Love your neighbor. Everything else is commentary.

This is the Gothic truth of Scripture: A faith that does not protect the vulnerable is hollow. A devotion that does not extend outward is incomplete. A heart that does not turn toward the neighbor is not yet aligned with God.

Conclusion — The Commandment That Builds Community

Exodus shows the action. Matthew shows the command. Together, they form the blueprint for righteous living.

In the Winter Breshna voice, the truth stands firm:

Faith is not only vertical—it is horizontal. To love God is to love people. To honor God is to defend the neighbor. This is the great commandment, and it is the great calling.

Written by Author Winter Breshna.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy

LIBRARY OF LINGUISTICS ISSUE NO. 192 (mi²) CHILLER EDITION • YEAR 2026 O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy O‑10 Marine Corps Admiral Pay and Allowances (2026) Short answer: An O‑10 (four‑star) Marine in 2026 receives basic pay of about $18,808.20/month (subject to Executive Schedule caps), plus tax‑free BAS (~$311.68/month) and potential BAH (location‑dependent) and special pays (hazard, SDO, flight, etc.). Exact totals depend on years of service, duty station, dependents, and authorized special pays. Military.com Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) Guide key considerations, clarifying choices, decision points Considerations: Basic pay is set by grade/years and capped by law; BAS is standard for officers; BAH depends on duty station and dependency status; special pays vary by assignment (e.g., SDO, hazard, flight). Defense Finance...

I am single available truth to the people by Author Winter Breshna.

I am single available truth to the people  by Author Winter Breshna. Yes I am single yes I am available yes I do say the truth yes I am a writer author publisher and human the needs and everything that I want men or need to be met go both ways when two wants meet each other and take things further I am single I am available.  I post on my blue sky I post on my Tumblr I post on my parler everything I post is the way how anybody feels that they post on their social media I'm the same way figuring out why did this person post it because there's something that they want somebody to know that it's important for anybody to know that they know that's on there social media line.  Regardless that they're single available or already taken with someone.  Expectations always need to be met regardless single married vdivorced never been married or as we've all heard of before I will never get married I will never have kids because it is too expensive I've heard that befo...