Skip to main content

California Penal Code § 417.25 — Aiming or Pointing a Laser Scope or Pointer.

 

California Penal Code § 417.25 — Aiming or Pointing a Laser Scope or Pointer

California Penal Code § 417.25 makes it a misdemeanor to aim or point a laser scope or laser pointer at another person in a threatening manner with the intent to cause a reasonable person to fear bodily harm California.Public.Law+1.

Key Provisions

  • (a) Every person who, except in self-defense, aims or points a laser scope (as defined in § 417.25(b)) or a laser pointer (as defined in § 417.25(c)), at another person in a threatening manner with the specific intent to cause a reasonable person fear of bodily harm, is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in county jail. The laser scope does not need to be attached to a firearm California.Public.Law+1.

  • (b) “Laser scope” means a portable battery-powered device capable of being attached to a firearm and capable of projecting a laser light on objects at a distance California.Public.Law.

  • (c) “Laser pointer” means any handheld laser beam device or demonstration laser product that emits a single point of light amplified by stimulated emission of radiation visible to the human eye California.Public.Law.

Examples of Offense

  • Pointing a laser scope at someone’s chest in a threatening way.

  • Using a laser pointer to intimidate or threaten another person Shouse Law Group.

Penalties

  • Misdemeanor (not a felony or infraction).

  • Up to 30 days in county jail.

  • May be replaced with misdemeanor probation or other court-ordered sanctions Shouse Law Group.

Common Defenses

If charged under § 417.25, possible defenses include:

  • Self-defense.

  • No laser scope/pointer was used.

  • Coerced confession Shouse Law Group.

Related Law

California also has § 417.26, which criminalizes aiming a laser scope or pointer at a peace officer with intent to cause fear or apprehension, carrying enhanced penalties Criminal Defense Lawyers.

In summary: In California, pointing a laser device at another person with the intent to cause fear of bodily harm is a misdemeanor under PC § 417.25, punishable by up to 30 days in jail, unless it qualifies as self-defense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy

LIBRARY OF LINGUISTICS ISSUE NO. 192 (mi²) CHILLER EDITION • YEAR 2026 O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy O‑10 Marine Corps Admiral Pay and Allowances (2026) Short answer: An O‑10 (four‑star) Marine in 2026 receives basic pay of about $18,808.20/month (subject to Executive Schedule caps), plus tax‑free BAS (~$311.68/month) and potential BAH (location‑dependent) and special pays (hazard, SDO, flight, etc.). Exact totals depend on years of service, duty station, dependents, and authorized special pays. Military.com Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) Guide key considerations, clarifying choices, decision points Considerations: Basic pay is set by grade/years and capped by law; BAS is standard for officers; BAH depends on duty station and dependency status; special pays vary by assignment (e.g., SDO, hazard, flight). Defense Finance...

I am single available truth to the people by Author Winter Breshna.

I am single available truth to the people  by Author Winter Breshna. Yes I am single yes I am available yes I do say the truth yes I am a writer author publisher and human the needs and everything that I want men or need to be met go both ways when two wants meet each other and take things further I am single I am available.  I post on my blue sky I post on my Tumblr I post on my parler everything I post is the way how anybody feels that they post on their social media I'm the same way figuring out why did this person post it because there's something that they want somebody to know that it's important for anybody to know that they know that's on there social media line.  Regardless that they're single available or already taken with someone.  Expectations always need to be met regardless single married vdivorced never been married or as we've all heard of before I will never get married I will never have kids because it is too expensive I've heard that befo...