Skip to main content

Blog. DEFLECTING OWN ACTIONS; BLAMING EVERYTHING ON EVERYONE ELSE; NOT TAKING ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

Blog. DEFLECTING OWN ACTIONS; BLAMING EVERYTHING ON EVERYONE ELSE; NOT TAKING ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

Short answer: Blame-shifting is a common defensive pattern that protects self‑image short‑term but corrodes trust, learning, and relationships long‑term; shifting to accountability requires deliberate self‑awareness, small ownership steps, and structural changes in how feedback is given and received.

Understanding the Pattern

Blame as a defense: People often deflect responsibility to avoid shame, protect status, or reduce immediate discomfort. This is a well‑documented psychological defense that gives short‑term relief but prevents learning.

How it shows up: Common forms include minimizing one’s role, scapegoating others, citing external circumstances exclusively, or repeating excuses. Over time these behaviors create a blame culture that discourages risk‑taking and honest feedback.

Why Accountability Matters

  • Trust rebuilds faster when people own mistakes; accountability invites repair rather than escalation.

  • Performance improves because admitting error enables corrective learning instead of repeating the same failures.

Quick Guide: Key Considerations and Decision Points

Considerations

  • Emotional safety: People avoid ownership when feedback feels like attack.

  • Power dynamics: Leaders who blame create cultures where subordinates hide problems.

Clarifying prompts (for reflection)

  • What part of this outcome did I influence?

  • What could I do differently next time?

  • How can I invite others to help fix this?

Actionable Steps to Shift from Blame to Accountability

  1. Pause and name the emotion. Labeling shame or fear reduces reactivity.

  2. Adopt a learning frame. Ask “What happened?” and “What will I change?” rather than “Who’s at fault?”

  3. Take a small, specific ownership step. Publicly acknowledge one concrete action you’ll take to repair or improve.

  4. Request and accept feedback. Normalize corrective input by thanking the giver and outlining next steps.

  5. Model accountability as a leader. Leaders who own mistakes set the cultural norm for teams.

Risks, Limits, and Pitfalls

  • Superficial apologies without concrete change reinforce cynicism.

  • Shame‑based accountability (punitive, public shaming) backfires and increases defensiveness.

  • Entrenched patterns require time; one conversation rarely rewires behavior.

Closing (Practical takeaway)

Start small and specific: one honest admission, one corrective action, and one structural change to feedback processes. Over time those micro‑moves convert defensive blame into durable accountability  and rebuild trust, learning, and performance. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy

LIBRARY OF LINGUISTICS ISSUE NO. 192 (mi²) CHILLER EDITION • YEAR 2026 O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy O‑10 Marine Corps Admiral Pay and Allowances (2026) Short answer: An O‑10 (four‑star) Marine in 2026 receives basic pay of about $18,808.20/month (subject to Executive Schedule caps), plus tax‑free BAS (~$311.68/month) and potential BAH (location‑dependent) and special pays (hazard, SDO, flight, etc.). Exact totals depend on years of service, duty station, dependents, and authorized special pays. Military.com Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) Guide key considerations, clarifying choices, decision points Considerations: Basic pay is set by grade/years and capped by law; BAS is standard for officers; BAH depends on duty station and dependency status; special pays vary by assignment (e.g., SDO, hazard, flight). Defense Finance...

I am single available truth to the people by Author Winter Breshna.

I am single available truth to the people  by Author Winter Breshna. Yes I am single yes I am available yes I do say the truth yes I am a writer author publisher and human the needs and everything that I want men or need to be met go both ways when two wants meet each other and take things further I am single I am available.  I post on my blue sky I post on my Tumblr I post on my parler everything I post is the way how anybody feels that they post on their social media I'm the same way figuring out why did this person post it because there's something that they want somebody to know that it's important for anybody to know that they know that's on there social media line.  Regardless that they're single available or already taken with someone.  Expectations always need to be met regardless single married vdivorced never been married or as we've all heard of before I will never get married I will never have kids because it is too expensive I've heard that befo...