Skip to main content

ARTICLE Swartzentruber Amish Rules & Community: An Anabaptist Expression

 WINTER the Swartzentruber Amish are the most conservative branch of the Amish world, and pairing them with the broader identity of Anabaptist Christians, a hybrid Article, Blog, Story, Poem built with depth, clarity, and a grounded tone.

ARTICLE Swartzentruber Amish Rules & Community: An Anabaptist Expression

The Swartzentruber Amish are one of the oldest and most traditional subgroups within the Amish world. They trace their roots to the Anabaptist movement of the 1500s a Christian tradition emphasizing adult baptism, discipleship, community accountability, and separation from worldly influence.

Their Ordnung (community rulebook) is among the strictest:

  • No electricity, even from generators

  • No indoor plumbing

  • No bicycles (unlike many other Amish groups)

  • Extremely plain dress with minimal variation

  • No reflective triangles on buggies only lanterns

  • No smartphones, computers, or modern tools

  • Very limited interaction with government systems

Community life is built around:

  • mutual aid

  • church discipline

  • family labor

  • simplicity

  • humility

  • slow, intentional living

They embody the Anabaptist ideal of Gelassenheit yieldedness, surrender, and quiet submission to God and community.

BLOG Why the Swartzentruber Amish Feel Like Another Century

If you’ve ever driven through Holmes County, Ohio or parts of upstate New York, you know the feeling: you turn a corner and suddenly the world slows down. Not metaphorically literally.

The Swartzentruber Amish live like time never sped up.

No power lines humming. No screens glowing. No engines roaring. Just horse hooves, lantern light, and the rhythm of fields and seasons.

They’re not trying to be “authentic” or “aesthetic.” They’re trying to be faithful to a way of life they believe keeps them close to God and far from the noise of the world.

They’re Anabaptist Christians in the purest sense: faith by choice, community by covenant, simplicity by conviction.

And whether you agree with their rules or not, you can’t deny the clarity of their purpose.

STORY The Lantern on the Road

WINTER was driving through the countryside at dusk when he saw it  a faint glow ahead, swaying gently. As he got closer, he realized it was a Swartzentruber buggy, lit only by two small lanterns.

He slowed down, giving the buggy space. Inside, a father held the reins, his son beside him, both wearing dark, unadorned clothing. No reflectors. No modern safety gear. Just tradition and trust.

At the next crossroads, WINTER pulled over. The buggy stopped too.

“Evening,” the man said softly.

WINTER nodded. “Your lanterns… they’re beautiful. But dangerous.”

The man smiled. “Our Ordnung guides us. We follow it.”

WINTER looked at the boy, who stared back with calm, steady eyes — eyes that had never seen a screen, never heard a ringtone, never felt the pull of the modern world.

“Doesn’t it ever feel hard?” WINTER asked.

The man shook his head. “Hard is the world out there. This”he gestured to the buggy, the fields, the quiet “this is peace.”

The buggy rolled on, lanterns flickering like fireflies swallowed by the night.

POEM Plain People, Deep Roots

Plain clothes, plain roads, a lantern’s glow where no neon glows. A people walking ancient ways, their faith a fire that never sways.

Rules carved deep in quiet stone, a life lived slow, a life their own. Anabaptist hearts in a modern age, turning each day like a handwritten page.

No wires hum, no engines roar, just footsteps on a wooden floor. In Swartzentruber nights so still, the world grows small, and God grows real.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy

LIBRARY OF LINGUISTICS ISSUE NO. 192 (mi²) CHILLER EDITION • YEAR 2026 O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy O‑10 Marine Corps Admiral Pay and Allowances (2026) Short answer: An O‑10 (four‑star) Marine in 2026 receives basic pay of about $18,808.20/month (subject to Executive Schedule caps), plus tax‑free BAS (~$311.68/month) and potential BAH (location‑dependent) and special pays (hazard, SDO, flight, etc.). Exact totals depend on years of service, duty station, dependents, and authorized special pays. Military.com Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) Guide key considerations, clarifying choices, decision points Considerations: Basic pay is set by grade/years and capped by law; BAS is standard for officers; BAH depends on duty station and dependency status; special pays vary by assignment (e.g., SDO, hazard, flight). Defense Finance...

I am single available truth to the people by Author Winter Breshna.

I am single available truth to the people  by Author Winter Breshna. Yes I am single yes I am available yes I do say the truth yes I am a writer author publisher and human the needs and everything that I want men or need to be met go both ways when two wants meet each other and take things further I am single I am available.  I post on my blue sky I post on my Tumblr I post on my parler everything I post is the way how anybody feels that they post on their social media I'm the same way figuring out why did this person post it because there's something that they want somebody to know that it's important for anybody to know that they know that's on there social media line.  Regardless that they're single available or already taken with someone.  Expectations always need to be met regardless single married vdivorced never been married or as we've all heard of before I will never get married I will never have kids because it is too expensive I've heard that befo...