Skip to main content

ARTICLE. Formal Amish Pennsylvania Dutch / Swiss German: Tradition, Language, and Identity.

Hybrid Article, Blog, Story, Poem built from verified information about Amish Pennsylvania Dutch / Swiss German, Old Order vs. New Order Amish, simple living, plain dress, Christian pacifism, Alemannic dialect roots, Bible reading, and a historical tie‑in to the French and Indian War. All factual statements are grounded in the search results.

ARTICLE. Formal Amish Pennsylvania Dutch / Swiss German: Tradition, Language, and Identity.

The Amish are a traditionalist Anabaptist Christian people with Swiss and Alsatian origins, emerging from a schism led by Jakob Ammann in 1693. They are known for simple living, plain dress, and Christian pacifism, and for maintaining separation from modern society.

Language: Pennsylvania Dutch & Swiss German

Amish communities speak:

  • Pennsylvania Dutch (a German dialect)

  • Swiss German (in some groups)

  • High German for Bible readings and worship These dialects descend from Alemannic German, preserving linguistic continuity with their European origins.

Subgroups: Old Order vs. New Order Amish

The Amish fall into three main subgroups:

  • Old Order Amish most traditional; avoid electricity, cars, and modern technology; worship in German; use buggies.

  • New Order Amish adopt some modern conveniences, emphasize evangelism and New Birth, but maintain plain dress and Anabaptist beliefs.

  • Beachy Amish more modern; use cars; worship in English.

Religious Life

Amish faith centers on:

  • Bible reading

  • High German worship

  • Pacifism

  • Gelassenheit (submission to God’s will)

Historical Note: French and Indian War

During the French and Indian War (1754–1763), Amish and Mennonite settlers in Pennsylvania committed to nonviolence, faced pressure from colonial militias. Their pacifism placed them in a difficult position, reinforcing their identity as a peace‑church people.

BLOG. Why Amish Language and Subgroups Still Matter Today.

If you sit at a kitchen table in Lancaster County or Holmes County, you’ll hear a language that sounds like time travel: Pennsylvania Dutch, a living echo of Swiss German farms from the 1600s. It’s not nostalgia it’s identity.

The Old Order Amish keep the strictest Ordnung: no electricity, no cars, no modern noise. The New Order Amish allow some conveniences but keep the same spiritual backbone: Bible reading, plain dress, and pacifism.

What’s wild is how these communities survived everything from the French and Indian War to the digital age without losing their center. Their language, their simplicity, their faith it all works together like a cultural shield.

STORY. The Bible in Two Tongues.

WINTER visited an Amish farm at dawn. Inside the kitchen, an elder opened a thick Bible printed in High German. His grandson listened, understanding every word even though he spoke Pennsylvania Dutch at home and English with outsiders.

After the reading, the elder said:

“Old Order, New Order we all begin with the Word.”

Outside, a buggy rolled past, lanterns glowing. Inside, the boy asked, “Grandfather, did our people fight in the French and Indian War?”

The elder shook his head gently. “No. We are a peace people. Always have been.”

WINTER realized the truth: Their language carried their history. Their history carried their faith. And their faith carried their way of life.

POEM. Tongues of the Plain People.

Alemannic roots in a Pennsylvania field, a dialect the centuries could not steal. High German prayers at the break of day, plain‑clothed lives in a quiet way.

Old Order lanterns in the evening rain, New Order hymns in a familiar refrain. Simple living, pacifist hands, Bible open across the lands.

Through wars they would not raise a sword, their peace a shield, their faith their cord. Two tongues whisper the same belief that God is strength, and simplicity relief.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy

LIBRARY OF LINGUISTICS ISSUE NO. 192 (mi²) CHILLER EDITION • YEAR 2026 O‑10 MARINE CORPS GENERAL PAY & ALLOWANCES (2026) A Two‑Page, Intense, Realistic Dissection of Power, Rank, and Compensation at the Summit of the U.S. Military Hierarchy O‑10 Marine Corps Admiral Pay and Allowances (2026) Short answer: An O‑10 (four‑star) Marine in 2026 receives basic pay of about $18,808.20/month (subject to Executive Schedule caps), plus tax‑free BAS (~$311.68/month) and potential BAH (location‑dependent) and special pays (hazard, SDO, flight, etc.). Exact totals depend on years of service, duty station, dependents, and authorized special pays. Military.com Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) Guide key considerations, clarifying choices, decision points Considerations: Basic pay is set by grade/years and capped by law; BAS is standard for officers; BAH depends on duty station and dependency status; special pays vary by assignment (e.g., SDO, hazard, flight). Defense Finance...

I am single available truth to the people by Author Winter Breshna.

I am single available truth to the people  by Author Winter Breshna. Yes I am single yes I am available yes I do say the truth yes I am a writer author publisher and human the needs and everything that I want men or need to be met go both ways when two wants meet each other and take things further I am single I am available.  I post on my blue sky I post on my Tumblr I post on my parler everything I post is the way how anybody feels that they post on their social media I'm the same way figuring out why did this person post it because there's something that they want somebody to know that it's important for anybody to know that they know that's on there social media line.  Regardless that they're single available or already taken with someone.  Expectations always need to be met regardless single married vdivorced never been married or as we've all heard of before I will never get married I will never have kids because it is too expensive I've heard that befo...